BR privatisation

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
pdeaves

BR privatisation

Post by pdeaves » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Privatisation started well before train operation was hived-off in the mid-1990s. For example, BR's hovercraft services were divested in 1981 and Travellers Fare in 1988, the latter being sold to the management team eventually becoming today's SSP (that runs Upper Crust and other brands).

One odd sale is the railway laundry at Slateford, disposed of in 1983, 36 years ago and over a decade before the bulk of sales. Does anyone know who the purchaser was? I have looked in the likes of Hansard but reports to MPs seem consistently to state the laundry was sold without naming a buyer where other subsidiaries often gave more detail.

For a nostalgic reminder of all the businesses that were once part of the BR 'empire', take a look at http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/operator ... ation.shtm

MisterC

Re: BR privatisation

Post by MisterC » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:32 pm

I don't know the answer but I can suggest some further places to look.

There may have been press coverage at the time of the sale both national and local. British Library would be the place to start but local Scottish newspapers may require going to Scotland.

The National Archives at Kew have lots of British Railways Board papers.

Kew has a file "Privatisation: British Transport Hotels laundries" ref AN192/284 with papers 01/01/81-30/11/82.